FB People

FB Roundup Daniel Kretinsky, Hamdi Ulukaya, Moreira Salles family

FB Roundup Daniel Kretinsky, Hamdi Ulukaya, Moreira Salles family
In this week’s FB roundup, Daniel Kretinsky takes over Royal Mail, Hamdi Ulukaya acquires Anchor Brewing, and Moreira Salles family increases stake in Alpargatas.
By Adrian Murdoch

Daniel Kretinsky takes over Royal Mail

Daniel Kretinsky is to take over Britain’s Royal Mail in an all-cash £3.6 billion ($4.6 billion) deal. 

The Czech billionaire via his EP Group vehicle is to acquire Royal Mail owner International Distribution Services (IDS). He already owns 27.6% and the bid is for the remaining 72.4%. 

He has offered 370p per share to investors according to the bid document

In a statement, Kretinsky said: “The EP group has the utmost respect for Royal Mail’s history and tradition, and I know that owning this business will come with enormous responsibility – not just to the employees but to the citizens who rely on its services every day.”

Keith Williams, the Chair of IDS, said that he believed that the offer was “fair and reasonable” and that as the new owner, EP would continue to enhance IDS’ investment in strategic areas such as network and out-of-home solutions. 

Although the bid has been accepted by IDS, it still requires shareholder approval at IDS’s next annual general meeting in September. Another potential fly in the ointment is that the deal could be blocked by the next British government under the National Security and Investment Act.

Kretinsky has become a significant name in British business. He has sizeable stakes in West Ham FC, the supermarket Sainsbury's and energy giant EPH. He also owns stakes in French newspaper Le Monde and German retail giant Metro AG.

Forbes estimates that he has a net worth of $9.3 billion. 

Hamdi Ulukaya acquires Anchor Brewing

Hamdi Ulukaya, today announced his acquisition of the assets of Anchor Brewing Company (Anchor), America’s first craft brewery. 

The price has not been disclosed. 

“What an exciting time for San Francisco and Anchor Brewing,” said Ulukaya. “Both are experiencing the magic of rebirth. I have fallen in love with this city, its history, grit and charm. I believe brands born in places like this are incredibly special and must be treasured, respected and loved.”

With a history dating back to the California Gold Rush in 1896, Anchor was the first craft brewery as well as an original, iconic San Francisco brand. Best known for its Anchor Steam Beer and its renowned brewery and Public Taps taproom, Anchor’s operations in San Francisco’s Potrero Hill neighbourhood closed last year.

The founder of America's most popular Greek yogurt brand, Chobani, Ulukaya grew up in a Kurdish dairy-farming family in Turkey. He immigrated to the U.S. in 1994 to study English and with a loan from the Small Business Administration, he bought an old yogurt in 2005. He began to sell the yogurt in 2007 and last year posted sales of more than $2 billion.

Forbes estimates that Ulukaya has a net worth of $2.3 billion. 

Moreira Salles family increases stake in Alpargatas

The Moreira Salles family is increasing its stake in Alpargatas, one of the largest Brazilian brands of rubber flip-flops. 

Via its MS Alpa Participacoes vehicle it has offered to acquire a 9.55% stake in the company for approximately BRL340 million ($64.7m). It will buy up to 32 million preferred shares in the firm for BRL10.50 each. This is a 17.2% premium over the closing share price of the company on 19 May. 

The Moreira Salles family already owns a 28.5% stake in the iconic firm via the holding firm Cambuhy Alpa Holding and the investment firm Alpa Fundo de Investimento em Ações. 

Alpargatas' main product is Havaianas which was inspired by the Japanese Zori sandals and was originally introduced in 1962. 

Pedro Moreira Salles is the current leader of one of Brazil's oldest banking families. His late father, Walther Moreira Salles, was the founder of Unibanco and a former ambassador to the United States. 

Pedro Moreira Salles’ family office BW Gestao de Investimentos, increased its AUM to $11 billion last year as it increased its headcount to 78. Forbes estimates that Moreira Salles has a net worth of $6.5 billlion. 

Top Stories